Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Needs moar speeds

About a month ago, the time finally came for the first real test of my frug-cycle and, more importantly, the dude doing the pedaling. I planned to ride the "long walk" route Amber and I take when we're feeling not quite so lazy, basically down the road and back for a total of 3.4 miles. I thought it wouldn't take me too long and it would have been a nice break-in for me and the bike.

If there is any good news to come out of it, it's that the first half of the route is very easy, aaaannnnnd that's about it. The way back up is not enjoyable.

Referencing my Gearin' Up post from last week, I had my handy dandy nexus one with mytracks running to give me the breakdown of the trip. That is, assuming I could make it back home.

What I gained by going to the tall, skinny tires of a road bike and a lighter frame, I believe I lost (and then some) by having half the gears. I don't know much about elevation change and what "steep" truly is, but here are some numbers:
  • The total distance of the trip was 3.40 miles, so 1.7 miles each way.
  • Of that 1.7 miles, i would consider 1/2 of it to be "flat", and my definition of flat is something that I can comfortably pedal without wheezing. That leaves .85 miles of "hills".
  • At the bottom and the top, the elevation is fairly consistant, the big elevation changes are in the middle. Over the .85 miles of hills, the total elevation change was 309 ft, which makes the average grade for that 6.5%.
Not knowing much about cycling I can't say if that's actually high, my estimates are off, or I'm just a big wussbag. To an out of shape 28 year old on a 10-speed, an average 6.5% grade over a mile felt damn near impossible. As a small victory, I didn't stop or get off the bike, though I did ride in circles for a bit before tackling the last big hill.

A few days later I tried the same route with similar results, still no stopping (except for my heart), and I still haven't stood up to pedal. Is that the key, or am I just that far out of shape? Please don't answer that. Below is the first trip, I don't think I captured a mytracks log for the second attempt.

2 comments:

  1. I could call ya a wussbag, but I'm not sure how much better I'd be attacking the same attempt as yourself. Going to the gym regularly has shown some benefits for someone like myself but bicycles and hills are not the same equivalent as resistance workouts on a stationary bike.

    So in other words, "good job so far Dan Bearpig!!"

    -Jason-

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well it's not the gym, but it's something. Good to hear you're doing some good for yourself as well.

    I did the same trip (as above) last night and it was slightly less sucky, though still tough. I may do the same ride again tonight depending on the weather.

    ReplyDelete